Locating your Mains Water Stopcock
Do you have a plumbing problem such as a leak or a burst pipe? In order to fix these issues, you’ll need to turn off your water supply. Consequently, you’ll need to know to how to find your stopcock!
Quick tip: it’s a good idea to get a pair of grips or pliers to help turn the stop cock off as it’s possibly not been turned off for a while and may be quite stiff to turn off.
- Wrench – to turn the stopcock off if it’s stiff to turn
- Screw driver – to open a street stopcock plate
- Stopcock key – to turn off the stopcock in the street if you can’t
reach it with your hands as it’s too deep
Here’s a list of places where you might find your stop cock:
- Under the kitchen sink
- the understair cupboard in your hallway
- In the cellar
- In the hallway cupboard
- Behind the washing machine
- Under the entrance floor where you sometimes have the door mat (if accessible)
- In the front garden near the boundary
- Near the gas meters
- Boiler room or plant room (if you have a commercial property)
If you still can’t find it, it may be worth asking your neighbour where theirs is, especially if both your properties were built at the same time – they might be located in the same place!
Where and how to find your Stopcock
These images show you what a mains water stopcock in your property looks like:
These street stopcock are what you might find to turn off your mains water supply outside:
Book your appointment by contacting us today.
Disclaimer: The information contained on this website if for general information purposes only. You should not rely upon the material or information on the website as a basis for making any decisions or actions and we don’t accept liability for anything you chose to do with the information.